Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Tale of God's Will

I don't know much about God's Will, and I know absolutely nothing of what that will has to do with the chaos and suffering that came out of Katrina. What I do know is that despite all of that chaos and suffering, and in some cases because of it, there have been some amazing things to happen in addition to the really horrible things, and the moderately horrible things, and the not really horrible but still pretty damned inconvenient things.

Terence Blanchard's new album, A Tale of God's Will, is one of the truly wonderful things. The second song on the album, Levees, a slow, orchestral riff that plays off the New Orleans classic St. James Infirmary, leads into a winding collection of soft, thoughtful, emotive material that does exactly what it's intended to do. It puts the reality of Katrina two years later right in front of you, asks you to open your eyes and pay attention, and then holds you and lets you sit and have a good cry.

I had the accidental opportunity to hear part of this at Jazz Fest this year and it literally stopped me in my tracks and knocked me off my feet.

It is a beautiful, lovely album from a man who is to my mind and heart the greatest Jazz trumpeter of our present age. From his work on soundtracks for Spike Lee(from which some of this music comes), his previous work with Art Blakey (alongside fellow New Orleanian Donald Harrison Jr.) , his excited, heart felt campaign speech at the 2006 NOLA Jazz Fest for (unfortunately) losing mayoral candidate Mitch Landrieu , his work with young up and coming players, or sophisticated, heart shaped modern classics like this; the man has got the heart, the brain, the soul and the chops.

THIS is why there is music. BUY THIS ALBUM.

No comments: