Monday, January 14, 2008

Every Little Bit Helps

Last Thursday a little touch of New Orleans rolled into Petaluma's Mystic Theater. It was a rockin' night of blues when Henry Butler came to town and the show was another of those weird "Mystic Moments" when a person I've seen dozens of times in all kinds of environments pulled off the best show I've ever seen him perform.

There were two delights in this. The first was simply the chance to have that little touch of New Orleans all the way out here on the west coast (where I am significantly more comfortable than I've been in a long time, though I still feel somewhat in exile). The second was the show itself, witnessed by less than 100 people in a theater that - in it's intimacy and comfort - feels a lot like a club in The Crescent City. It was a good night, a good show, and I was in very very good company.

These really are the moments that matter, the ways in which I hold on to my sanity when all else seems to be disrupted and chaotic.

No comments: