Friday, February 29, 2008

Nothing worth having... Comes without some kind of fight

I've started a new blog (yeah yeah yeah... I know) with the intention of expressing things from my heart in ways that I might not otherwise express them.

The name is "Bleeding Daylight" and the address is http://kickingatdarkness.blogspot.com. The title and the address come from a Bruce Cockburn song on the incomparable album "Stealing Fire" (that's the cover there over on the side). The line that I stole the title and address from is "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight, you've got to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight" from the song "Lovers in a Dangerous Time." This is a song which to me has always described the reality and the struggle of attempting to stay alive and awake in the contemporary world, especially, but not exclusively, in the U.S.

The album was released almost 25 years ago and it is perhaps even more poignant now than it was then.The first time I heard that line, sitting on my couch in San Francisco, not long after a trip to Nicaragua in the early 80s, I was knocked over and knocked out. It did, and still does, what art is meant to do; it calls us, even drives us, to our better selves.

I am hoping that Bleeding Daylight will do the same.. if not for you, at least for me.

And it is, after all... about me.

No comments: