Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Home Sweet Home... Almost

I just got back from leaving a deposit and signing a lease for a new apartment I will be renting in Petaluma starting the middle of March. It's a delightful place, close to downtown and close to someone who matters a great deal to me these days. It's also the first time in almost twenty years that I am moving into a place that I have complete choice over. MY place. It's small, but it's bright and open, cheery and spirit-filled. My landlords, who live next door, are people with whom I have already developed an easy, interesting, enjoyable rapport.

It's not in New Orleans... it's not even in San Francisco... and I am experiencing regular feelings of doubt, betrayal, guilt and even a sort of lost confusion over that fact. But much to my surprise and chagrin I am feeling excited and hopeful in anticipation of moving into "my own place" in a town that a few years ago I couldn't wait to escape from. In the last year, and for many reasons, Petaluma has become for me a place of solace, action, work, spirit, and relationship. I am glad to be here and I can't wait to move in.

I guess that this is the next step in my journey... and I just have to let it go.

2 comments:

Sean Nordquist said...

I do like Petaluma. There used to be an old bank building right downtown that was empty. I always wanted to buy it and turn it into a nighcluib. :P

Anonymous said...

There used to be a place called dempseys down on the water, they did the finest creme brulee!